Saturday 7 April 2012

So whilst the foam was curing for the seat, i set about working out how to go about making the knee dents in my tank.

This was very useful:



So I went out and tried to get hold of a Nylon panel hammer and had no luck, so after a quick trip to Tool Station i had a 24oz white head rubber mallet for the pricely sum of £3.82. I then took a file to the end of the mallet to round it over and volia an incredibly cheap panel hammer.

White Head Rubber Mallet 24oz




I then went about beating the hell out of the fuel tank, if your going to do this make sure you do it on the bike. It is easier to work and it also puts the tank under some tension when you beat the sides in. When i did this off the bike it made the tank too narrow to fit over the top bar and I had to bend it out to fit.






Once the tank was in the right sort of shape, I stripped it down to bear metal with nitromors and a stripping wheel. It is much easier to work with paint on the tank as you can see the dent and curves better.


The Tank came up beautifully. I think I might just leave it as raw steel and clear coat it!

So after a bit more hammering  a week of filling, sanding and painting began..




















Its getting there, but still needs a fair bit of work!






No comments:

Post a Comment